Different pancake toppings
The most popular toppings for pancakes are ‘stroop’ and powdered sugar. Stroop is somewhat similar to maple syrup, which you could use too. I’ll share some of my favorite pancake toppings and will divide them by sweet and savory.
Sweet pancake toppings
The most simple topping is powdered or icing sugar, but you can add everything you like! I like fresh berries on my pancake a lot.
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Brown sugar
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Fresh fruit
- Lemon curd
- Ice cream (make a dessert out of it with ice cream, whipped cream and fresh fruit!)
- Apple (bake the apple slices with the batter in the pan)
Savory pancake toppings
When I eat pancakes, I always make one with Dutch cheese. It’ so good. But bacon ánd cheese might be even bettter. You can add the topping to a plain pancake, or you can bake the toppings with the batter.
In the case of cheese bacon pancakes, I always put some bacon in the pan and bake for a few minutes. Then add the batter and put cheese on top. After you flip the pancake and bake the side with cheese, you will have a crispy side. I’m drooling while I write this. I need to make these pancakes soon!
- Cheese (I like Dutch cheeses, like Gouda. But you can even use Brie if you want)
- Cheese AND bacon
- Bacon combined with apple slices (a perfect salty and sweet combo)
- Mushrooms, bell pepper, bacon and onion, or in other words: the farmers’ pancake! (The ‘boeren pannenkoek’ is a real classic)
- Pizza pancakes! I make them with tomato sauce, salami and cheese.
These are just a few of my favorites. The list could be at least 10 times longer, there are a lot of options.
Another tip: instead of using the ingredients above as toppings, you could also incorporate them in the batter. When you bake a pancake batter with savory fillings, they will be a bit thicker.